Technical Specifications for Major Metal Cast Aluminum or Cast Iron Abrasive Stair Nosing - Type 100:
• Provide Major Metal Cast Aluminum or Cast Iron Abrasive Stair Nosing Type 100 safety nosings as produced by The Mat King a d/b/a of Jandru Mats, Inc., for interior and exterior stairs.
• Abrasive shall be #20 virgin grain Aluminum Oxide abrasive integrally cast into the walking surface to a minimum depth 1/32 inch.
• Safety nosings up to 6" deep with crossed hatched surface being installed into wet concrete shall have a feature strip along the back edge. .
• Consealed type anchors shall be slotted rivet type, integrally cast into the body of the nosing a minimum of 3/8 inch.
• Cast metals used shall conform to the following specification:
Abrasive Cast Aluminum: No. 43 prime ingot; low copper content; corrosion resistant.
Abrasive Cast Iron: Class 20 iron; high silicon; machinable; hyper eutectic.
• Any holes or countersinks shall be machine made; screw heads shall not protrude above tread surface; cored holes or countersinks are not accptable.
• All metal types shall have shot blasted finish; Cast Iron Abrasive Treads and Nosing shall have one coat of shop-black paint.
• Cross hatching and fluting shall be 1/16" deep minimum and shall be clean and well defined.
• Treads or nosing shall be manufactured, packed and shipped so as to arrive at the job site in good condition.
• Nosings shall terminate not more than 4" from ends of steps for poured concrete stairs; for concrete filled steel pan stairs, nosings shall be full length of steps less 1/8" clearance.
Guidelines for the Installation of Major Metal Sure and Secure Safety Stair Treads or Nosing into New Concrete or Steel Pan Filled Stairs:
• The use of very large aggregate in the concrete mix may make placement of the safety nosing difficult.
• Safety nosing placement may be difficult in concrete with very slow slump.
• Place concrete into the stair forms or steel pans as quickly as possible; schedule pours so as to install the metal safety nosings quickly before initial set of concrete occurs.
• Puddle the concrete, tamp the safety nosing to insure proper concrete formation around the anchors.
• Remove protective tape (if used) as soon as practical.
• Order nosings or treads well in advance of the pour or installation date.
• Close stairway after pour; permit no use for 24 hours.
Back to Major Metal Cast Treads Intro
Site Map: The Mat King Web Site in Overview
3000 Hempstead Turnpike; Suite 305
Levittown, Long Island, NY 11756 USA
Fax: 800-Mats-Fax (628-7329)